Friday, December 4, 2009

Students at the University




I've been going to the Dongguan University Tuesday nights with a group of fellow foreigners to lead an English corner.  Over 300 students attend.  We celebrated Thanksgiving dinner with the students and were able to feed them as everyone brought something to share.  One student Rena approached me one Tuesday and asked me to come to her study class on Monday nights to teach her class about Christmas.  I've gone two times.  There are 45 students in her class.  They are so sweet and open.  The first day I came when I walked in the students clapped.  It was strange to have them clap after almost everything I said.  The next time I came I was prepared to teach them song Christmas songs when I was surprised to find out that they had made me chicken soup, sweet water and had prepared songs of their own to sing for me.  I will go one more time to share some more about Christmas.  You can see Rena and I together in the picture, some girls from her dorm room and a group of guys singing.  Monday night is a stretch for me, because I go by myself so I have to take public transportation.  On Tuesday nights the group I go with hire a private driver.  Getting around in China can be so complicated and feels like a rat race at times.

3 comments:

ncray said...

Your students and you're friends are so blessed to have you in their lives. You are making a serious impact in your sphere of influence and it is awesome to hear about. I know God is very delighted in you. I love you sis.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing Elaine! I wish I was one of your students!
~Aundrea

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't mean to add my aim name...