Monday, November 17, 2008

QSI East Asia Teacher Conference



Last weekend I went to my first professional development in Shenzen.  It was QSI's East Asia Teacher Conference.  Teachers from all over south east Asia were at the conference.  The conference was on assessment.  I felt like I was back in college.  During the age-alike sessions I connected with other 8 year old teachers and the other music teachers.  The other music teachers were surprised I was also teaching 8 year old's.  They thought that was crazy and quite honestly I think it is too.  The music program at my school is just starting.  I am the first music teacher and that is why we are so limited with supplies.  I'm very grateful I brought my own music books and collections of songs to teach students.  There was an English book store in Shenzhen.  It was a gold mine.  I get so much more excited about English materials now.  Discovered an Oxford leveled reading program that would be great for my students.  The Rigby books are just too easy for them.  They need more challenging literature.

No comments: