Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Middle Schoolers

So I'm learning how to teach choir to middle school.  Believe me it is not easy.  Getting them to sing and even listen to me is a huge challenge.  I finally realized I needed to treat them like little kids and be super controlling.  I have put numbers on the chairs and they have assigned seats.  Today I was trying to get them to do a rhythm rap and certain individuals were not following directions so I kept making the group do it over and over until everyone was doing what I asked.  One boy openly said we won't do it we rebel.  So I said you are welcome to leave my class and go sit with Mr. Stubbs, the administrator.  There was some disgruntalment, but no one left.  Sometimes I think middles schoolers are more talk than anything.  They don't like being put on the spot and peers are so important.  So we listened to a Bon Jovi song today.  I decided to teach them Bon Jovi's It's My Life.  First time I listened to it today. I like it.  Anyways one day I'll be able to sit back and laugh at the insaneness of what I'm teaching this year.

1 comment:

christine said...

Choir isn't easy---I taught a lot of it when I came to London. Its a great way to learn all the pop songs though.