Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Orthodox Jews

Passover hat
The men's side of the wailing wall.
The men's line for entering the Western Wall.
Me, an unorthodox woman of God.

Attempting to bring me, a wayward Jew, back to God.

Going to Israel was my first introduction to the Orthodox Jews. I had many questions when I encountered them. I wanted to know why did they dress in black, why do they grow long side curls, why do they have so many different hats, why do they have strings hanging in the front and back of them, why do they move away from you when you sit next to them, why do they get out of the water when you jump in the water to go swimming, why do they refuse a ride if they were trying to hitchhike. Well I discovered many things. They wear the strings to remind themselves of God's word or teachings in the Torah. Some of the hats were worn especially for Passover. I discovered how unclean I am to them, because I am a gentile, though sometimes they thought I was a wayward Jew. God wants his people to be "set apart" from other peoples and nations. This was interesting to experience this set apartness which felt like separation and it was strange to be the outsider.

No comments: