Thursday, May 19, 2011

An Armenian Blessing

Outside the Church of the Holy Sepulchure...Armenian Quarter of Jerusalem.



Ok so those who know me, know I am a little cheeky. For example I'll use my fingers in the buffet line instead of the serving utensils and I like to poke my nose in places it shouldn't be poked. When I was in Jerusalem I just couldn't help my cheekiness or maybe it's my curiousity. When I was at the Church of the Holy Sepulchure I was so excited to walk around and try to open any door I could. I found a locked door to a stairway that was unlocked and what did I do....I walked through it and went upstairs to the upper rooms that overlooked everything. It was stunning and cool and I felt like a great sneaky explorer. As I was up there peering over the balcony a man in black robes approached me. That was a bit alarming, because I knew I was being sneaky. He asked me what I was doing up there and if someone had sent me. He asked if I wanted prayer. So what does someone do when they are caught red-handed? You ask for prayer. The Armenian priest spoke his Latin words over me in a blessing and then accompanied me to the ground floor. I must say it was quite an exilerating experience and I got an Amrmenian blessing out of it.:)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

LOL. What a great story! I love your blog Elaine! You are so full of life. You inspire me. Keep on posting. :)