Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sweeping of the Tombs Festival

Today is a Tuesday and it is a religious holiday. It is a called Sweeping of the Tombs. The local Hong Kong people go to the tombs of their ancestors to sweep, clean the tombs and to offer incense and sacrifices. It is interesting to me that this holiday is around the time of Easter. Over 2,000 years ago several woman came to a tomb to offer sacrifices of spices on the body of Jesus and what did they find? The body was not there. What if the local Hong Kong people were to go and discover that the graves were open and their dead were not there. How terrifying that would be! Hong Kong has many more superstitions about the dead than mainland China. I'm sure it must have been there in mainland as well, but it is more hidden because of communism.

Well since I didn't have to work I visited one of the outer lying islands-Lamma Island. It is an island with no cars only foot traffic and bikes. There are lots of little hippee stores. I ate at the Bookworm Cafe, which is a vegetarian restaurant. It was so yummy to have Western style vegetarian food. Actually in a way I felt I was in Eugene, OR.:)

1 comment:

Random Panda said...

Next time we come to HK, let's go to Grandma's Tofu Pudding on Lamma... (it's not the stinky type, don't worry!)