Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A trip to the mountain



Toward the end of my time in rural China, I went to this Buddhist temple with Joe and Nancy.  To get there we rode on little motor bikes to a lake.  It was my first time riding on a motor bike with more than two people on it.  That was exciting.  At the lake we hiked down to these boats.  The lake was so still and peaceful and this giant mountain rose in the distance.  The hike up the mountain to the temple was beautiful, bamboo forests and lots of stairs.  I've been to temples before, but this was a different trip for me, because I was with practicing Buddhists.  They wanted  the Buddhist monk to tell my fortune and they wanted me to participate in some of their practices, but I politely declined.  Honestly being in rural China opened my eyes to the idolatry.  Seeing people bow down to idols and offer things is quite a shock.  People also would pay money to have these idols that were being paraded around the town come into their homes for a moment.  Seeing this darkness saddened my heart.

2 comments:

christine said...

I hope you don't mind me reading your blog Elaine? Do you remember me by the way?

Elaine Ray said...

Yes I do remember you Christine. My fellow music comrade from the halls of Central.:)