Monday, August 9, 2010

Moved to HK

So it's been a couple months since I blogged. I've moved to Hong Kong. Technically HK is still China as China owns it, but there is more freedom and this is what I needed at this time. I love China, but needed a break from the suttle oppression of Big Brother. So how is HK freer? Here are a few ways.

1) Freedom on the internet to access Facebook, Blogspot, and Youtube among others.
2) The government is leftover Brittish parliament, a form of democracy.
3) People are allowed to protest the government even Communism openly on the streets.
4) People are allowed religious freedom. There are churches and shrines everywhere unlike mainland.

What are some differences I have noticed?
1) HK is a big bustling city much like NY or London. It has a feeling of a being the London of Asia or as another friend put it NY with a never ending China town.
2) Everything is much smaller and more compact than mainland.
3) People are smaller than mainlanders.
4) More noticable skin problems. I have seen some strange looking moles with several inches of hair growing on people.
5) The elderly and disabled are everywhere. On mainland I didn't see too many elderly. I mostly saw soo many babies.
6) Cantonese food is very different from Chinese food.
7) You can get fined for many different things. There are more structured rules than mainland. I wonder if that is leftover from the Brittish rule?
8) Cars drive on the opposite side of the road. Mainland is like the US when it comes to driving on the right side rather than the left.

So I'm hoping to blog more about my life in HK.

No comments: