Saturday, January 9, 2010

Gunshots or Fireworks

So last night I was awoken by what sounded like gunshots.  After this sound there were men yelling and people screaming and I heard the sound of a siren.  This was a very disturbing way to wake up at 3:00am.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I have seen in the local paper lately about a murderer, but this murderer did not have a gun he used a knife.  However, Chinese people do not have guns.  It's against the law.  The only guns I have seen are on armored cars and guards who transfer money from bank to bank.  There is a bank close by to my apartment.  I was almost going to call another teacher to see if they had heard what I heard, but then thought well it is close to the Chinese New Year and people usually light fireworks at this time.  Usually not at 3am, but perhaps that's why people were yelling and shouting, because it is rude to do that so early or late. 

I have been a little more on edge, because I was robbed in a train station over the Christmas break. I'm fine and I still have my passport.  I only lost money.  Our school is also on high alert, because children are being kidnapped and held for ransom, but sadly once the ransom is paid the children are killed.  More crime starts around the Chinese New Year, because people want to go home to their families and most people living in Dongguan are migrants.

Also my thoughts about last night make me realize why the government is so concerned about another revolution.  It could happen.  A switch could flip in the minds of the people and then they are a mob, because there are so many of them.  Oh China my heart hurts for you.

No comments: