Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day of School and Police Interview



Today was the first day of school.  I have 14 eight year olds.  Nine boys and five girls from Taiwan, Korea, England and America.  They are so precious and I can tell very smart.  Not all of them speak English very well and I could tell some were even nervous to say their name.  
After school a group of teachers had to drive to Shekou for our visa police interviews.  The picture is of us waiting to be interrogated.  Last week we went through a thorough medical exam for resident visa papers.  The next step was an interview with the police.  I was a little nervous about this, but it turned out to be fine.  Tomorrow we have to drive to Shenzen to hand in all of our paperwork to another police department.  Lots of paperwork and formality to get a resident work visa if you are a foreigner.  The other picture is of the teachers the day of our medical exam from last week.  It was quite the ordeal, chest xray, blood draw, ear, eye, teeth exam, ultrasound and EKG.  We were happy to have it over.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Elaine! Your disco apartment is beautiful. I'm so envious. And don't worry, I pass out with IVs too. Needles aren't so bad, except when they aren't removed right away.

You look like you're having a fantastic experience. I'm so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

I want to see some more updates! You must be really busy with everything. I miss you and love you Lainy.