Saturday, September 13, 2008

Missing Seattle Washington



I'm really starting to miss Washington state.  I miss beautiful Mt. Rainier.  I miss the Puget Sound.  I miss my favorite place to walk at Redondo Beach.  I miss the evergreen trees.  I miss cooler weather.  It is so hot here in southern China.  On average the temperature has been between 30-35 celsius with 85-95% humidity.  That is hotter than LA plus the humidity level makes it seem like a sauna.  Basically you are constantly drenched in a layer of sweat.  I was trying to figure out why my sweat was so itchy, the salt from my sweat makes it itchy.  Today when I walked into Starbucks to buy a tuna sandwich and egg salad sandwich, two of my favorites, and I'm very much missing sandwiches, I almost burst into tears because I miss Washington, my home so much.  

The pictures are of my classroom and the students are eating lunch.  This first week of school has been quite the challenge.  I am teaching eleven classes/subjects.  Five core elementary subjects plus 6 music classes.  My schedule is very trying mentally and emotionally I've been feeling very isolated.  I'm trying to figure out how to help my eight year olds. Several of them barely speak English and can't even write English numbers for math and we've been working on word form for numbers.  Whereas I have other students who need to be challenged so they won't get bored.  Currently my favorite class is the secondary music students.  They've learned four songs this week and are so eager to learn.  It's nice to work with older students who are a bit more like adults verses eight year old children, who run around like little monsters sometimes and it's a constant battle to maintain order.  It's pretty disheartening when I realized some students can't even understand when I ask them to stand up or sit down.  Grateful for the weekend.  Found a dvd store as I'm craving English speaking movies.  After going to school to plan for next week I'm going to chill tonight with my tuna and egg sandwiches and enjoy a movie. 

No comments: