Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cultural Differences



Living in China has made me realize some differences between my culture and China's.  For example they do not use ovens to cook.  I thought I had an oven in my apartment, but ended up being a sterilizer for dishes.  Chinese wash their dishes in cold water than cycle them through a sterilizer.  Not having an oven is sad, because that means no baking cookies or cakes.  Another difference is most apartments don't have bathtubs.  I love taking baths so this was a disappointment.  Washing cloths is another difference.  Washing machines are outside and you dry your cloths outside, too.  The Chinese believe you should always iron your clothes to kill micro-organisms since the cloths dry outside.  Not a bad idea.  I've never even thought about the micro-organisms on my cloths.  I'm not much into ironing, but maybe I'll start. 

1 comment:

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

How fun that we both have laundry pictures on our blogs right now! Yours looks more inviting. =) I'm so excited that you're going to check with a travel agent there. Ask about the tourist visa for Russia, too. That's probably the best way to find out and the easiest way to get one.