Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Chinese Hospital Experience


Please don't be alarmed by the picture.  I am still alive and breathing.  I was sick this week and found myself in the Dongguan Konga Hopital, which is the largest hospital in asia.  I got dehydrated and an intestinal thing with a fever.  The doctor took blood and they tried to give me an IV.  Now those of you who know me, know I am prone to passing out.  I have become very brave with blood draws, but IV's are another story.  This was my first IV that I remember having inserted in my vein.  The nurse had inserted the needle and was taping it down when I passed out. While I was falling to the floor the IV yanked out of my hand, cut my finger and stabbed the nurse. When I awoke I felt like I was in some strange Asian movie.  The nurses managed to get me on a bed and inserted oxygen tubes.  I went into a little bit of shock as I was in pain from being sick, my hand from the IV and my head which hit something.  After I calmed down, the secretary who took me to the hospital to translate, took this picture.  She was really concerned and I wanted to lighten the mood when I was feeling better.  So I had her take the picture.  Several days later I am pretty much recouperated thanks to rest, antibiotic and glucose tablets.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Elaine,
Even though you are not well, you look like "sleeping beauty"!

I am so glad you are all right.

Love and hugs,
becci

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

You poor thing! I hope you never have to go back!