Saturday, October 10, 2009

Mid Autumn Festival October 3, 2009


In China the next big holiday celebrated besides Chinese New Year is the Midautumn Festival.  It takes place during the full moon in October.  People give each other moon cakes all the way leading up to the full moon.  My Chinese neighbor invited me over on the night of the full moon for a dinner, tea and mooncakes.  We watched CCTV’s special performance.  The Chinese love musical performances and dancing.  It’s really neat to see a country united for special performances for their special holidays.  Traditional songs are sung.  One interesting performance I saw was a combining of Chinese opera singing with modern pop singing; quite different and unique.  So many fireworks went off it was beautiful.  The Chinese sure know how to put on a fireworks display.  All the songs were about the moon, poetry about the moon, how it unites people and lovers.  That night under the full moon I saw lots of floating lanterns in the sky.  I bought myself a wishing lantern and lit it under the full moon and watched it float away.  It’s very magical.

No comments: