Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chinese National Holiday



This week is the Chinese National Holiday.  It is like fourth of July in America accept you get a whole week off rather than one day.  China has officially been a communist country for 59 years.  This is what they are supposedly celebrating this week.  I asked the locals what they do and it seems to be a week of travel.  This makes it difficult to purchase train tickets and travel yourself.  My plans for this week keep evolving.  I think the latest plans are to travel to Zhuhai on the coast by bus and take a boat out to an island.  

As I was walking down the Nanchen Walking street, close to where I live Sunday afternoon, I was wondering why it was so crazy.  I felt like I was at a carnival.  It was because of the holiday.  All these booths were set up selling food, socks, various trinkets.  The people selling food were pretty crazy.  They had music blasting and some were dressed in costumes dancing trying to get people to buy their food.  I kept thinking they must be so hot by the food in costumes jumping up and down.   

1 comment:

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

Somehow we keep missing each other on skype! Hopefully we can talk soon!