Sunday, October 12, 2008

Chinese Folk Cultural Villages










I spent this weekend in Shekou with some fellow teachers.  A group of teachers went to an artist village, where you can buy all kinds of art.  Imitations of the Mona Lisa, Vango, Monet, etc.  I found a small picture of Venice and a street in Paris that I liked.  The Chinese are great at imitating famous art.  

Later that day Dasha and I went to the Chinese Folk Cultural Villages.  This is a Chinese Cultural Disneyland.  Every unique and interesting sight in China is in this village only in miniature form or large scale replicas that you can walk into.  One picture is of a Chinese water wheel.   Another is of the Lamasery in Tibet.  And the pile of stones commemorates a battle, each stone representing someone who died.  There are so many giant Buddha's carved in stone.  I didn't realize these sights were in China I thought they were in India. Saw some amazing acrobats and musicians.
We arrived later in the day and didn't get to go through everything.  As we were walking around the miniature sights in China it started to get too dark to see so we went to a show called Dancing with the Dragon and the Phoenix.  This was the most amazing show I've ever seen.  It was slash broadway musical/opera, Las Vegas type show, and historical fantasy.  The stage was constantly moving.  The costumes were beautiful.  I didn't fully understand what it was about, but it was pretty cool.  At one point some Mongolian horse riders came charging across the stage fighting and doing horse tricks.  We both decided to return to the Cultural Villages on another day.  There was too much to see in the couple hours we had.
The next day we met some friends from Dongguan for a multicultural fellowship in Shekou. Motet, the Philipino decided to call our group the United Nations, because we had so many different countries together; England, U.S., China, Russia, Philipines.  I love being surrounding by so many people groups and ethnicities.  I learn so much about myself, God and the world.  The first picture is our United Nations gang.

No comments: