Friday, October 3, 2008

Fried Beach





I went camping in China and swam in the South China Sea in Zhuhai.  It was so much fun.  We camped at this place called Fried beach.  Camping in China is very different than in America.  You don't have to bring any camping stuff, because everything you need you can rent at the location for super cheap.  The beach was scattered with tents and people.  People were up late walking on the beach, lighting fireworks, sitting around barbeque grills.  There were some university students that started a camp fire so we joined them, unfortunately some angry person came and started yelling at the students for having a fire, complaining about the pollution one little fire was creating and what would the foreigners think.  I thought that was pretty funny and told the students not to feel bad about creating a fire it had brought them new friends.
The beach was so beautiful.  When we arrived all the Chinese people were swimming in this one area.  I thought that was strange, because it was a large beach and there was so much room for swimming.  My group got into the water far away from the massive crowd of people.  As we were enjoying the waves I heard this whistle, whistle, whistle.  Some guard came over and was whistling at us, because we were not in the contained swimming area.  So I obliged and the other Chinese people who followed me in water obliged.  But I felt a little sad.  Here is this beautiful ocean, which to me is so powerful and freeing, and people must have control over the fun and freedom the natural beauty offers.  I still enjoyed the waves in the contained area, but I thought these people are way too obliging and obedient.

No comments: