Saturday, October 18, 2008

Freaky Friday

Last night I came home late and guess what happened?  My key breaks in my lock.  EEgads!  It's 11:30pm.  I walk back to the front gate where the guards are and show them my broken key.  One of them takes it and 20 minutes later returns with a locksmith riding his motorbike.  We go to my floor and the locksmith struggles with the lock.  The lock is not budging.  Meanwhile random guards keep coming up on the elevator.  At one point there were 13 Chinese guys in uniform standing in my hallway jabbering in Chinese.  I know it woke up everyone on my floor.  It was so loud.  One of my neighbors, Jonny, came out.  He speaks some English and started translating for me so I could know what was going on.  Finally 2 1/2 hours later after waking up the building managers and my landlord, who has a key, we were able to open my door.  I think I'll make some copies of this key just in case.

2 comments:

Susan Dungan said...

Dear Elaine,
I loved the mental image of all of the excitement in your hallway!! Glad they were able to help you in the middle of the night!
Can you speak Chinese? I'm sure Claire and Cindy got you a head start!
love,
Susie

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

How funny/awful!!!