Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chinese Phrases


So alot of people might think that living here in China I'm learning Chinese.  Well it is something I call taxi Chinese.  Basically survival speaking.  I know how to get in a taxi cab and tell him where to go, when to turn right or left or go straight ahead and when to stop.  Very important details. My Chinese is limited to basic needs for directions and shopping.  I'm not taking lessons, which I would love to do, but it is unrealistic this year as a first year teacher in a foreign country.  Maybe next year.  I have picked up phrases just by listening, such as "no problem, it's ok, what a beautiful day" and "walk slowly."  The last phrase really has me thinking, because many people use this phrase, manzo.  I think it means something deeper than just walk slowly.  It is filled with meaning to go through life slowly, making the most of every moment.  One of our own English phrases has this meaning.  Stop and smell the roses.  So often I'm in such a hurry.  Do this.  Do that.  Get there.  Finish that.  All of this hurry, scurry affects my brain and body.  I need to walk slow and enjoy being in the now. 

1 comment:

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

This picture of you is so pretty. I like that people say to "walk slowly" and that it holds deeper meaning.