Monday, March 16, 2009

Special Visit

One of my friends came to visit me-Amy.  I had actually never met her before, but was in contact through email with her.  She is teaching English and British Lit. up in the city I was at two and half years ago, Qinghuandoa.  She had two months off between semesters and was traveling around South East Asia.  On her way back up North she stopped in Dongguan for a visit.  It was so nice to meet her and have company. We were both home schooled growing up and had a lot in common.  She is the first teacher I have met who is interested in classical education fervently-teaching children the Socratic method of thought as well as Latin.  Studying Greek and Roman writers was one of my favorite subjects in college.  I want to learn more about that movement of education. She is so brave to have travelled around Vietnamn and Cambodia for two months.  It sounds like an amazing adventure.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I think the what you are doing in China is pretty brave and wonderful too. What amazing adventures. Thanks for keeping up the blog. :)

Lisa

Amy Shaw said...

Hummm, sound familiar. Where have I heard of this chick?
As I'm finding out through all the job interviews, one of the foundational classical education texts is "The Lost Tools of Learning." I highly approve of this, since the author, Dorothy Sayers, was a friend of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. You can find the essay online at http://www.gbt.org/text/sayers.html.

Amy Shaw said...

Hummm, sound familiar. Where have I heard of this chick?
As I'm finding out through all the job interviews, one of the foundational classical education texts is "The Lost Tools of Learning." I highly approve of this, since the author, Dorothy Sayers, was a friend of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. You can find the essay online at http://www.gbt.org/text/sayers.html.

Amy Shaw said...

Hummm, sound familiar. Where have I heard of this chick?
As I'm finding out through all the job interviews, one of the foundational classical education texts is "The Lost Tools of Learning." I highly approve of this, since the author, Dorothy Sayers, was a friend of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. You can find the essay online at http://www.gbt.org/text/sayers.html.